Catamount Baseball – Summer Diamond Notes
By Daniel Hooker
Assistant Athletic Director for Media Relations
Western Carolina sophomore Nate Stocum has been named to the Valley Baseball League’s All-Star team representing the Covington Lumberjacks and the VBL South Division. The Valley League All-Stars are selected by the league’s head coaches.
Entering games on Friday, July 15, Stocum was batting .300 (24-for-80) with seven doubles to rank tied for ninth in the Valley League and three home runs. His team-best 21 RBI also ranked him fifth in the VBL, adding a pair of sacrifice flies to date this summer.
Stocum batted .288 last spring for the Catamounts with 45 starts between the outfield and
first base among his 49 games played. The Raleigh, N.C., native tallied 10 doubles, a pair of triples, and six home runs in his second season in the Purple & Gold, driving in 37 runs that included finishing tied for first in the Southern Conference with six sacrifice flies.
The Valley Baseball League All-Star game is scheduled for Sunday, July 17, at Bing Crosby Stadium in Front Royal, Va. The Home Run Derby starts at 5:00 p.m., and the evening also features the sixth class of the Valley Baseball League Hall of Fame, which will be introduced at 6:30 p.m. Player introductions will begin at 6:40 p.m., with the first pitch set for 6:55 p.m.
Valley Baseball League (VBL) Broadcast Links:
Butterworth Participates in Southeast Prospect Collegiate Showcase
Playing with the Mooresville (N.C.) Spinners of the Southern Collegiate League this summer, WCU infielder Brandon Butterworth was invited to the Southeast Prospect Collegiate Showcase that was held June 27-28 at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va.
Entering the weekend, Butterworth is batting .298 (17-for-57) with seven doubles and two triples with nine RBI this summer. He’s also made 39 assists with 17 putouts while playing at shortstop.
Additional WCU Summer League Notes of Interest:
- RHP Nick Hyde has had a solid start to the summer in the Northwoods League with the St. Cloud (Minn.) Rox … Over seven appearances, Hyde has a win in relief with a 1.84 ERA, striking out 14 against just five walks over 14.2 innings out of the bullpen;
- Infielder Pascanel Ferreras concluded his short summer stay in the Cape Cod League with the Falmouth-Dennis Red Sox, homering twice with the wooden bats this summer;
- Infielder Zach Ketterman has also left the Strasburg (Va.) Express of the Valley League where he started the summer;
- RHP Gavin Mortenson has completed his summer with the Waynesboro (Va.) Generals, tossing 19.0 innings over four starts with 19 strikeouts and a 4.73 ERA;
Other Catamount Summer League Roster Additions:
- RHP Paddy McGonigal has joined the Thomasville (N.C.) Hi-Toms roster in the Coastal Plains League;
- LHP Eric Wallington, INF Drew Needham, and RHP Jackson Kirkpatrick have each joined the Martinsville (Va.) Mustangs roster in the Coastal Plain League
Update on Catamount Alum in Professional Baseball:
Justice Bigbie, INF – Lakeland (Fla.) Flying Tigers – Single-A
- Has spent this season in the Florida State League … Is hitting .233 (51-for-219) with 10 doubles, two triples, and a home run with 21 RBI;
- Played with two teams in 2021 after being drafted, batting .253 (25-for-99) with four doubles, a triple and two home runs with 18 RBI;
- Bigbie was taken by the Detroit Tigers with the 555th overall pick in the 19th round of the 2021 MLB First-Year Player Draft.
Brendan Nail, LHP – Portland (Maine) Sea Dogs – Double-A
- Has spent five seasons in the minor leagues with the bulk of his time with the Greenville (S.C.) Drive … Pitching this season in the Double-A Eastern League where he’s made 20 appearances with a 2-1 record and a 4.19 ERA with three holds and a save over 19.1 innings;
- Has a career record of 10-3 with eight saves and a 3.33 ERA over 83 appearances with 179 career strikeouts;
- Signed as a free agent by the Boston Red Sox in 2017 after a strong summer showing in the prestigious Cape Cod League.
Bryan Sammons, LHP – Wichita (Kan.) Wind Surge – Double-A
- Pitching in the Texas League … Has a 2-5 record with a 6.39 ERA this season over 25 appearances with one start and a save … has 42 strikeouts over 38.0 innings of work;
- Currently has a career record of 26-27 and one save with a 4.42 ERA over 112 career games and 75 starts … Has a career WHIP of 1.32 with 440 career strikeouts;
- Sammons was taken by the Minnesota Twins with the 226th overall pick in the eighth round of the 2017 MLB First-Year Player Draft.
Jack Snyder, RHP – Charleston (S.C.) RiverDogs – Single-A
- Signed to a minor league contract as a free agent in February by the Tampa Bay Rays and pitched in spring training before being assigned to the Bowling Green;
- Has pitched in 20 games between two minor league clubs in 2022, boasting a 6-0 record and a collective 3.29 ERA with one hold and five saves in six opportunities … Recorded 42 strikeouts over 38.1 innings entering the weekend;
- Started his professional career with the Schaumburg Boomers of the independent Frontier League.
Chase Walter, RHP – Fort Wayne TinCaps – High-A
- Pitched for two teams in 2021 in the minors, posting a 1-1 record and a 2.54 ERA over 32 career games with five holes and two saves over 39.0 innings … Recorded 74 strikeouts against 27 walks;
- Has been sidelined much of 2022 due to injury;
- Walter was drafted in the 32nd round of the 2019 MLB Draft by the Los Angeles Angels with the 961st overall pick before being signed as a free agent in 2020 by the San Diego Padres.
Tyler White, INF – Nashville (Tenn.) Sounds - Triple-A
- In his eighth year of professional baseball, playing this season with the Nashville Sounds of the Triple-A International League … Batting .244 (55-for-225) with 10 doubles, two triples, and 11 home runs to go along with 39 RBI this season;
- Has a career .298 batting average in the minor leagues with 152 career doubles, seven triples and 111 home runs with 490 career RBI;
- White was taken by the Houston Astros in the 33rd round with the 977th overall pick of the 2013 MLB First-Year Player Draft … He advanced to the Majors with both Houston and the Los Angeles Dodgers.